Comscore released a list of the top 25 apps and their market penetration (ie. what % of iphone owners have downloaded them). Surprisingly, over 1/3 of iphone users have downloaded TapTap Revenge. Games are proving to be the most popular download for iphone users - surpassing even social network app downloads.
Popularity of Categories
- Almost 50% of the top apps are games (12 out of 25)
- Entertainment is the next most popular category (4/25 top apps)
- Social Networking is third most popular (3/25 top apps)
Social Networking Popularity
- 26% have downloaded facebook followed by 23% for myspace and 19% for aim
- Twitter apps do not appear on the list - potentially because there are a number of apps for twitter (whereas myspace and facebook have an official app).
- Iphone users are 3 times more likely than average to visit social/communication/ entertainment sites including: AOL IM, Hulu, Twitter.com, Digg.com, iMeem and MTV.com
Iphone Usage is Largely Personal, Not Business
A look at the top iphone apps underscores that iphone usage is primarily personal vs. Blackberry usage, which is primarily business related. Games, social networks and entertainment make up the bulk of the downloads, with the remainder being entertainment related
The Comscore Top 25 List
Top 25 Apps by Penetration of Apple App Users February 2009 Total U.S. - Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Apple App Store Report Penetration Of Application Installs Category Developer Tap Tap Revenge 32% Games Tapulous, Inc. Backgrounds 27% Entertainment Stylem Media Touch Hockey: FS5 26% Games FlipSide5, Inc. Facebook 26% Social Networking Facebook, Inc. Pac-Man 24% Games Namco iBowl 24% Games SGN MySpace Mobile 23% Social Networking MySpace.com Google Earth 22% Travel Google Inc. Labyrinth 22% Games Codify AB Pandora 21% Music Pandora Media, Inc. AIM 19% Social Networking AOL Flashlight 19% Utilities John Haney Virtual Zippo Lighter 18% Lifestyle Moderati Inc. and Zippo Manufacturing Co. Movies 18% News Flixster Hangman 18% Games Jamsoft Bubblewrap 18% Entertainment Orsome Software Ltd. Lightsaber Unleashed 17% Entertainment Lucasfilm Ltd Shazam 17% Music Shazam Entertainment Ltd. Mazefinger 16% Games ngmoco Cube Runner 16% Games Andy Qua Sol Solitaire 15% Games Smallware LLC Crazy Penguin Catapult 15% Games Digital Chocolate Inc. Topple 15% Games ngmoco Sudoku 14% Games Mighty Mighty Good Games Remote 13% Entertainment Apple
We all know that the iphone app market has been growing like crazy since it launched…. We want to help keep you up to date on the amazing growth of the app store…. Here are some quick #s to keep you up to speed on the growth of the market:
- The app store has been open for just over 9 months.
- There have been over 1 billion apps served.
- There are over 30 million devices sold (between the iphone and itouch).
- There are over 35,000 apps available on the itunes store.
- The average iphone user downloads over 20 apps (some say more than 40)
- In the first month there was over $30 million transacted on the app store.
- The app store is growing quicker than itunes.
- Number of app users is growing at about 10% per month - Comscore